Love

Home Planet Zot Forums | View topic - Miyazaki Jr makes anime adaptation of "Ronja"  » Forums index » Cartoon News

Change font size Print View

Miyazaki Jr makes anime adaptation of "Ronja"
News and rumours from the world of animation

Moderator: Moderators Cartoon

Page 1 of 1

Owner of Planet Zot
Schwpz
Zottish

Schwpz

“Miyazaki Jr makes anime adaptation of "Ronja"”
Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm

RocketNews24 are reporting that Hayao Miyazaki’s son, Goro Miyazaki (director of From Up on Poppy Hill and Tales from Earthsea) will direct a TV adaptation of Astrid Lingren’s children’s book “Ronja the Robber’s Daughter”.

Picture from RocketNews24

You can read their article here:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/31/g ... -tv-anime/

I honestly don’t know how I should feel about this D:
Despite being a huge Ghibli fan, I grew up with Lindgren’s books (Pippi Longstockings, Emil i Lønneberget, Karlson on the roof, etc.) and the Swedish TV-film of Ronja has been shown on Norwegian television periodically since I was a little kid. It's just a couple of months ago since I watched part of Ronja with my own daughter. It’s always weird when someone makes remakes of things you grew up with as a child. :dizzy:
On the other hand, given the nature of the story, I can totally see it work in the Ghibli world. After all, it wouldn’t be too far off the athmosphere the Ghibli studio already conjured with Princess Mononoke, with forest spirits and expansive nature scenes untouched by man. And the protagonist, a bushy haired headstrong female, certainly fits Ghibli’s usual choice of heroine.

But still... It’s Ronja!
Swedish Ronja! ^^;

What do you think?

Go up

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Tifa
Sleepy

Tifa

“Miyazaki Jr makes anime adaptation of "Ronja"”
Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:33 pm

I grew up in the US, so I don't have a personal attachment to Ronja like you do. But I do understand what you're saying. I grew up with the original Spiderman movies. It took a great deal of convincing for me to watch the new one because, in my mind, Spiderman is synomous with Toby Meguire.

As for my personal opinion, I am always happy to hear when a new Miyazaki project is coming out, whether it be by father or son. Poppy Hill is one of my favorites, so in my case, I'm all for it.

Go up

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

”Anyone can give up; it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when
Everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.” -Chris Bradford

Icea

Icea

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 pm

When I saw the headline in the newspaper this morning I was about to go all rampage and complain about it loudly (the headline was "Now Ronja will be remade"), but when I opened the article and saw that it's made by Miyazaki I calmed down. I actually think this could turn out right, but the Swedish movie of Ronja is really one of the best Swedish children's movies ever made so I'll probably have a really hard time digesting this movie anyway.

I wish though that Astrid would've given the older Miyazaki the rights to do Pippi Longstocking in the 90s instead of giving the rights to that awful American studio who basically mangled Pippi. But then again that decision gave us Kiki's Delivery Service instead so maybe that was a good decision anyway...

Go up

Owner of Planet Zot
Schwpz
Zottish

Schwpz

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:38 am

I was hoping for your support, Icea!! T___T
If Ronja's a big thing in Norway, I can only imagine its popularity in Sweden! :dizzy:

I agree that if it was any other studio but Ghibli I'd throw a fit, but being Studio Ghibli it could work. Maybe. Not entirely convinced, but I'll try to remain positive! :hihi:

I understand perfectly well what you mean, Tifa! And just for the record, I think Toby Meguire makes a fantastic Spiderman. Some actors just grows into the role they're playing. I have a bit the same thing with Heath Ledger as the Joker from Batman. I found his performance so brilliant that it kind of makes it hard to appreciate fully other incarnations of the Joker.
Being open-minded is sure a full-time job ^^;

Ugh, can't say I'm much partial to that Pippi show that was made a while back :dizzy: But then again I'm not sure Studio Ghibli would have been the right studio for that project either.
Hmmm... how about a Pippi show from Gainax (FLCL, Evangelion, Abenobashi...)? XD

Go up

Page 1 of 1
4 posts

Home » Forums index » Cartoon News
All times are PZST + 1 hour